Literary Knitters: The Owl and the Pussycat

I found this months literary knitter in my Christmas stocking; every year I get a Julia Donaldson book from Father Christmas (as Julia and my mother are old friends) and this year's book was The Further Adventures of the Owl and the Pussy-cat, with beautiful illustrations by Charlotte Voake.

The book continues Edward Lear's nonsense poem The Owl and the Pussy-cat, and is set after the two have married and

...dined on mince, and slices of quince,
which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.

In the further adventures the Owl and the Pussy-cat loose their wedding ring, and having set sail to find it in a 'beautiful blue balloon', they trace it to the Pobble who has no toes, who wants to keep the ring as it sets of his fine hands, so;

Said the Owl, "Too-whoo!" and with pussy he flew,
To visit the Calico Doves,

Who flapped in the air, while they knitted a pair
Of impeccable gossamer gloves,
Two gloves, two gloves,
Two impeccable gossamer gloves.

The Owl and the Pussy-cat showed the gloves
To the Pobble who had no toes,
And both of them fitted, so well were they knitted,
In stripes of magenta and rose.


The Pooble is delighted with the new gloves, the Owl and the Pussy-cat get their ring back and live happily ever after.

Even without the knitting doves I would love this book. The Owl and the Pussy-cat is a favourite of mine, and this new story is a delight. Julia's verse is very clever and Voake's illustrations are delightful. Plus I got a free hanging mobile with my copy, how cool is that :)


Comments

  1. I love Julia Donaldson, ever since I got the gruffallo for the boys. Now if we are browsing in a bookshop I have to buy one of her books if it catches my eye. You are lucky!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment